There is a hot and trending issue about the sexual assault case filed against the producer, director, and Miramax co-founder Harvey Weinstein. Wherever you are in the world, sexual assault is a grave offense that is mostly left unreported, especially if the aggressor is a very powerful and influential person. Sexist language and victim blaming are some of the unfortunate natural responses of the society that make most victims withdraw and suffer in silence rather than endure more shame and criticism by others.
Today, I’m going to share the truth about the shamelessness of power plays, which is a means to satisfy people’s cravings for power. I also explain how the shame and powerlessness of the victims affect their balance and relationships – both personal and professional – and how the support of others for the victims or potential victims play a significant role in helping stop or prevent this abominable misconduct.
Power Players are projecting their shame on the victim.
This Week on Balance Boldly:
- The current sexual assault issue involving Harvey Weinstein
- #MeToo Sexual Assault Campaign to bring awareness
- Why Terry Crews chose to keep quiet about his experience with Harvey
- Statistics of people who have experienced sexual assault in the U.S.
- Overcompensation as a coping mechanism
- How to stop power players as a community
- Factors that build up the power jets of people who are prone to powerplaying
- Eight out of 10 sexual assault cases happen with family, friends, or people you know.
- What you can do right now is when you see something, say something.
A Little Gentle Honesty:
- You have power. Use that to leverage and pounce on someone who is having a power play.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- Crisis Text Line 741-741
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Campaign by Alyssa Milano – #MeToo
Join the Movement
Want to be part of the Selfish September Movement? Now you can! Create a 30-50 second video or meme sharing how you plan to be Unapologetically Selfish this week. Then, share it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with the hashtags #BalanceBoldly and #PushSelfish!
Subscribe, Share & Balance Boldly
Thanks for tuning into the Balance Boldly podcast – the show where we get bold about your balance and shake the shame that stunts your growth. If you enjoyed this episode, head over to iTunes, Spreaker, or Google Play to subscribe to the show and leave your honest review.
Join our Signature Retreat!
Learn some balance boldly tips and techniques by joining Permission to Pause, our signature retreat that’s happening in Philadelphia this November! Get access to private and interactive conversations by joining our community today. Registration details to Permission to Pause is available to exclusive members of the Dreamers Blueprint Community.
Join the Community!
Join the Dreamers Blueprint Community – the community designed for bold women and brave men that are ready to balance all that matters – boldly!
A Special Shout-Out to Our Sponsors
All About Leverage
All About Leverage integrates LinkedIn and social selling to build powerful networks, open more doors, and maximize client acquisitions through on-site and virtual training programs, concierge social marketing programs, LinkedIn executive profile optimization, speaking engagements, power networking groups, and LinkedIn coaching. All About Leverage is your full-service resource for LinkedIn and social selling. To learn more, visit AllAboutLeverageLLC.com.
Lolly Daskal’s The Leadership Gap Book
Are you ready to shine the light on the obstacles that keep you from achieving your dreams? Then it’s time to grab your copy of Lolly Daskal’s new book: The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness for some simple and easy to implement solutions to help you achieve the success you want in your life, career, and business.