People pivot from their careers for many reasons, some common reasons include staying at home with the children or moving into a new career due to changing interests, whatever your reason for your pivot, there are always things to try and learn from. Stay at home moms and dads have difficulty with getting back to their careers, due to the shame associated with missing out on learning new skills specific to their job, but even during your pivot you can learn valuable skills that will become indispensable to your job or business.
We are continuing our Season3 of the Balance Boldly Podcast on deliberate moments and being in the midst of PIVOTs, which our personal investments of viable opportunities to takeover, whatever it is that you want to take over! Yourself, your health, or your business, whatever it is, it is time to take over. On this episode, our featured guest expert, Johanna Wise and I discuss what it looks like and feels like to overcome the challenges of PIVOTS by focusing on your purpose during that pivot.
Guest Expert Today: Johanna holds an MBA from Stanford Business School and a BS in Applied Mathematics from Yale.
Johanna’s career includes: Financial Analysis at Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers in New York, Management Consulting at Bain & Company in Boston, Brand Management at Frito-Lay in Dallas. After a career sabbatical to raise 2 children, Johanna founded Connect•Work•Thrive: Find Work You Love™, dedicated to helping people change careers or re enter the workforce after a career break.
Key Points Mentioned
- There is no such thing as losing your mojo, just gaining a different type of mojo when you are pivoting.
- Break expectations of the typical career path for things that are important to you
- Learn how to outsource activities that you don’t want to do and volunteer for things that you do want to do.
- Regain your confidence in work by back doing and trying, failing and succeeding.
- Like anything else you never forget how to ride a bike, it just takes a bit of warming up to get back in the gears, you might find that you are faster or stronger because you came off of it for a while.
- Consider sharpening another skill-set that you didn’t even know you had.
- #ShaketheShame of making the decisions that are right for you
- Let people know why you did what you did, why you did it and what you are bringing to the table because of it.
- Choose where you are going to put your effort your skills and that is where they develop.
- Don’t worry about how you look, worry about what the experience is teaching you.
- No matter what you do, your skills are always transferable.
- If you don’t ever take that time to explore, everything is like what if, woulda, coulda, shoulda, use positive questions instead like, “What if I wasn’t afraid?”
The moment Johanna had to break expectations was when she was talking with her two-year old son in the kitchen and realized that there were always new things that she could learn, even if the job seems easy.
Johanna’s Unapologetic Pause includes line dancing with the love of her life.
A little Gentle Honesty It is very important that only you can make yourself feel lesser than. Remember that and engage in all of your reversible teachable moments which means you have something to learn from other people as well. But at the end of the day you are responsible for you.
Thank you to our guest expert, Johanna Wise.
To contact Johanna and learn more about Connect Work Thrive, Find Work you Love, Go to https://connectworkthrive.com
You can also connect with Johanna on any of the following social media channels:
Engage on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ConnectWorkThrive/
Follow on Twitter https://twitter.com/connectworkthrv
Go Pin on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/johannawise/connectworkthrive-return-to-work/
Contact on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/groups/6601597
Visit Johanna’s youtube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIFRZ2g1j3EVpmEmZ0gSXQ
If you like what you hear on the Balance Boldly Podcast, Please subscribe, rate and share to help us ensure the bold and brave have access to valuable balance tools.
Episode Sponsors & Resources Mentioned:
Balance Boldly is a weekly podcast hosted by International Balance & Relationship Advisor, Naketa Thigpen with pop ups from her Creative Writing, direct to the point husband Dean. Naketa provides a time, space and opportunity for Bold Women and a few Brave men to receive the decoded truth through raw, unfiltered stories of how guilt, lack of vulnerability and shame can stunt every aspect of your personal and business growth.
This podcast is filled with direct narratives and unscripted conversations with global industry experts who candidly share their business experience and tools for success through a personalized peak into their lives with stories you won’t find on Google.
First, give yourself Permission to Pause, unapologetically.
Then come and learn how to maximize your potential and your profits over at the Dreamers Blueprint, a community designed for bold women and brave men who are ready to balance all that matters, boldly or Follow Naketa on Twitter, @BalanceBoldly
Thank you for listening!